17.11.10

Protest Protest Marchy March

Last wednesday I marched through central London to protest the impending cuts to education and rising tuition fees. My friend Leo Cohen was there, too. I was glad to take part, and I certainly find protests interesting to say the least, but I couldn't help but be a bit depressed. The general atmosphere was giddy as opposed to angry, and I couldn't help but feel that what we were doing was not going to make any difference whatsoever. Call me pessimistic and jaded, I just can't feel good about the way the UK is going. After a while, some friends and I skipped out on the protests to go eat a bacon sandwich and drink some tea. In the immortal words of Fat Bastard, "I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat".

This little foray into the world of culinary delights meant that we missed a lot of the "trouble". However, I did manage to get some photos of the kids who broke into the tory headquarters to smash some windows and cause some ruckus. Please note the helicopter. Channel 4 news, I am guessing.









After the protests, I went to see LCD Soundsystem and Hot Chip at Alexandra Palace with my friends Molly, Rosie, Caroline and Dan. I lost EVERYONE as soon as I got in the door and spent the whole night alone. I. Hate. That. Venue. However, the music was pretty fun, so I guess November 10 was pretty interesting.

If you are in to protesting some more, Wednesday the 24 of November is national walkout day. Check the Facebook event for more details. See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment