1.11.10

Happy Birthday Dear Sister

Yesterday was my sister Serena's Birthday.

She is a musician, and a very talented one at that. Check out her myspace here

It has been over a year since I saw her. She lives in New York city, which is not exactly around the corner from London. I seem to be able to see most close family members a few times a year (over Christmas at the very least), but for some reason a proper visit has alluded us for a criminally long time. 

We are both busy. I get that. And living in a city like New York or London can be overly exciting, overwhelming and hectic. There is always so much to do, see and experience that it can be easy to forget about those who are far away.

But is this crazy life really worth it?

This is a question that I often ask myself on my darker days in this town. Yes, for the most part I love my life here and it is endlessly exciting and filled with new opportunities and adventures. But I love my family, and it can be extremely isolating and lonely to be so far away. These are the people that will ALWAYS love me, that I will ALWAYS feel connected to, no matter how my life might change or what path I choose to walk down next. I suppose the unconditional nature of familial love can make it easier to then neglect said family members. But I think this might be bull shit. Even if I can't be near to my family as often as I like, they are often in my thoughts, and I will try to make a better effort to notify them of this fact, i.e. pick up the phone. 

So Happy Birthday Serena. I am proud of you and please know you are often in my thoughts and always in my heart.

1 comment: