14.9.10

Introducing Capstan String

On Saturday afternoon, as I wandered aimlessly through Broadway market, I happened upon my friend Geraldine Ryan's new performance gallery space called BitchWedge Gallery. Lucky for me, I was privy to an impromptu performance from Marc Vaulbert de Chantilly as one of his many alter egos...Capstan String.


Capstan is illiterate, incomprehensible and mentally ill. He did his thing, danced around, and was completely ignored by everyone at the market. It is quite remarkable how unfazed everyone was by him...are we this unimpressed and unsurprised by weirdos dressed in insane costumes? Or is it just that no one cares about performance art? I wished it had gone on for longer, to enhance the illusion that Capstan is a "real" person. The idea of Capstan is infinitely more interesting to me than a man dressed as Capstan. 

Here is how he is described on his facebook page:

80s Acid Casualty. 90s Road Protester. Superhero. Anarcho-Squat Riotmonger, Urban Disorder And Disruption Legend. Often To Be Seen Behaving Inappropriately Around And About London's East End. Hates: Pigs. Loves: CHAOS!!! THE cApStAn RIDES TONIGHT!!!!

2 comments:

  1. That man with a silly name is NOT cApStAn StRiNg! Believe me, I know. The whole thing is set up. Do NOT be fooled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this man. He no performance artist. In fact he is an ecentric High Court judge who is solely responsible for the collaspe of my business empire (Regina v Kippers are Us)
    We now live in penury in some outskirt of Brussels called Berlin.
    Blast his eyes
    Hon.Herbert Masculate. vso. vd.& Scar

    ReplyDelete